Day 1: The adventure begins! Journey to the extreme southwest. Coastal walk
Early in the morning you meet your Tour Leader in the town of Chania. Transfer through the northwestern coast towards Elafonisos; on the southwest coast. You hike through a stunning exotic landscape; white sandy coast with tamarisks and cade trees, turquoise sea, dunes, sandbars and islets. Passing by sandy beaches, cliffs and the St. John’s Chapel, you arrive at the antique port at Krios. Transfer to Palaeochora; the “Nymph of the Libyan Sea”, a picturesque small harbor-town. Swimming. Overnight.
Hiking: 3h30min, + 175m, moderate to demanding
Day 2: Hiking along the Libyan Sea. Deserted coasts and forgotten sanctuaries
Today you walk further to the east, towards the ruins of ancient Lissos. Near the coast you may visit the excavation of Asclepius’ sanctuary. Through an impressive gorge covered with oleanders, you reach Sougia; located on a beautiful beach, in the place of ancient Syia. Overnight.
Hiking: 5h20min, + 515m, moderate to demanding
Day 3: The gorge of Agia Irini and the high-plateau of Omalos
Today you leave the coast hiking towards the inland. At first you walk through the beautiful gorge of Agia Irini; covered with oleanders, sage and trees and then in a barren environment on an old cobbled path you reach the high-plateau of Omalos; at an altitude of 1050m, on the massif of the White Mountains. Overnight in Omalos.
Hiking: 5h30min, + 1200m, demanding
Day 4: The gorge of Samaria
Today you cross the famous Gorge of Samaria. From Xyloskalo you enter this impressive natural reserve and territory of the Cretan Wild Goat; Kri-Kri, and we hike down towards the sea and Ag. Roumeli; a lovely coastal settlement. In the afternoon, when day-trippers are gone, you enjoy the tranquility of a place only accessible on foot and by boat. Overnight in Agia Roumeli.
Hiking: 5h, - 1200m, demanding
Day 5: Hiking eastwards along the Libyan coast
From Agia Roumeli you go walking further to the east. You hike over steep costs and high cliffs, where wild birds nest, passing by the solitary St. Paul’s chapel and by the beach of Marmara. Eventually you arrive at Loutro; a coastal village of south-west Crete. 2 overnights in Loutro.
Hiking: 4h45min, + 300m / - 300m, demanding
Day 6: Hiking to the mountains and, through the gorge of Aradaena, to the sea again
On a circular hike from/to Loutro, you enter the inland and then walk back to the coast. Via the old donkey path, you walk up to Anopolis; at 600m, former center of the harsh area of Sfakia. You continue towards the medieval village of Aradena; at 520m and then, through the narrow and shady Aradena Gorge, you hike down to the beach of Marmara and eventually you return at Loutro.
Hiking: 6h, + 650m / - 650m, demanding
Day 7: Last hike. Farewell!
After breakfast, you go for a short costal walk towards the beach of Glyka Nera and Sfakia. Transfer to the airport of Heraklion or Chania. Farewell!
Hiking: 1h30min, + 205m, easy
- 7 partly challenging hikes
- Not intended for professional athletes but for experienced hikers in fairly good shape
- Equipment: Hiking boots and day backpack are necessary, hiking sticks are very useful
- You generally follow the E4 European long distance trail.
From 748 EUR
- 6 nights in rooms with privet WC and shower in well maintained simple hotels / guesthouses
- Transfers as indicated in the program
- Luggage transportation from hotel to hotel while hiking between Paleochora and Chora Sfakion
- Tour Leader for the whole tour
- Professional liability insurance
- VAT 24% and all taxes
- Dinner (locally paid)
- Single room: supplement of 110 EUR
- Overnights in Chania or Heraklion
- Airport transfers
- Flights to/from Greece/Crete
- Admissions to museums and excavations
- Meals other than breakfast (diner optional)
- Drinks/Beverages, tips, other extras
- Personal travel insurance
- Agia Roumeli
- Chora Sfakion