- Poseidon’s temple, built at the highest point Cape Sounion
- Thorikos, was one of the earliest settlements of Attica
- Mineral washeries and mine installations, scattered throughout the National Park
- Kamariza or Agios Konstantinos, a former mining settlement
- “Chaos”, a geological phenomenon
- Lavrio and its port, a modern city founded in the 19th century
The area had been inhabited since the Neolithic period, mainly due to its rich subsoil. It was the main silver mining center in both ancient and modern Greece and it was this silver that gave ancient Athenians the power to dominate during Classical era. After the Classical Antiquity the mining activity was stopped, and until the mid-19th century, there are no signs of human presence in there.
Lavreotiki is a hilly area with extended coastline that includes the town of Lavrio and the National Park of Sounion, whilst has a wealth of important archeological monuments and contemporary history sites. It is a region perfect for beautiful day explorations and adventure tours.
ITINERARYJoin us in this exciting hike in the southernmost tip of Attica!
Through pines and bushes we walk onto ancient trails among adits, pits, shafts and tunnels; some over 100m deep, and ancient workshops with their cisterns and ore washeries. We walk further down until we reach the marble quarries; this marble was used in the construction of Poseidon’s temple; the renowned masterpiece of Athens Golden Age. From the top of Mt. Vigla peak we enjoy the breathtaking view to the sparkling blue of the Aegean Sea and then, down on the promontory the evocative temple awaits us to end our perfect day with the famous sunset.
RATESFrom 55 EUR to 103 EUR
The price of this day adventure varies according to the number of participants and the season.
SERVICES- Transfers as described, starting from Athens downtown or Piraeus
- Transportation in comfortable private vehicle
- Tour Leader for the whole tour and the hiking
- Picnic for lunch
- Professional liability insurance
- VAT 24% and all applicable taxes
OPTIONAL SERVICES- Cultural guide for the archeological sites
- Other snacks / drinks
NOT INCLUDED- Accommodation
- Entree fees in museums or excavation sites
- Lavrio Port