The area had been inhabited since the Neolithic period, mainly due to its rich subsoil. It was the main silver mining center in both ancient and modern Greece and it was this silver that gave ancient Athenians the power to dominate during Classical era. After the Classical Antiquity the mining activity was stopped, and until the mid-19th century, there are no signs of human presence in there.
Lavreotiki is a hilly area with extended coastline that includes the town of Lavrio and the National Park of Sounion, whilst has a wealth of important archeological monuments and contemporary history sites. It is a region perfect for beautiful day explorations and adventure tours.
ITINERARYJoin us in this exciting walking tour in the southernmost tip of Attica!
Through pines and bushes we walk onto ancient trails among adits, pits, shafts and tunnels; some over 100m deep, and ancient workshops with their cisterns and ore washeries. We walk further down until we reach the marble quarries; this marble was used in the construction of Poseidon’s temple; the renowned masterpiece of Athens Golden Age. From the top of Mt. Vigla peak one can enjoy the breathtaking view to the sparkling blue of the Aegean Sea and then, down on the promontory the evocative temple awaits the visitor to end a perfect day with the famous sunset. Several occasions for swimming.
- Poseidon’s temple, built at the highest point Cape Sounion
- Thorikos, was one of the earliest settlements of Attica
- Mineral washeries and mine installations, scattered throughout the National Park
- Kamariza or Agios Konstantinos, a former mining settlement
- “Chaos”, a geological phenomenon
- Lavrio and its port, a modern city founded in the 19th century
For 6-8 travelers: 73 EUR
For 4-5 travelers: 119 EUR
For 3 travelers: 142 EUR
For 2 travelers: 219 EUR
For 1 traveler: 312 EUR
SERVICES- Transfers in comfortable private vehicle with driver / tour leader
- Tour Leader for the whole tour
- Professional liability insurance
- All legal taxes
- Pick up / drop off from/to your accommodation
NOT INCLUDED- Cultural guide for the archeological sites
- Meals / snacks / drinks
- Entryance tickets in museums or excavation sites
- Lavrio Port