Day 1: Zagori the “Land behind the Mountains”Early in the morning you travel towards the region of Epirus in the northwest part of Greece and the picturesque area of Zagori, with its traditional stone-built villages in perfect harmony with the wild beauty of its landscape. We can organize your transfer according to the location. Overnight in Monodendri.
Transfer: approx. 290 km / 3h30min (from Thessaloniki), 35km / 40min (from Ioannina), 110km / 1h40min (from Igoumenitsa)
Day 2: The gorge of Vikos: A Guinness record canyonToday you hike through the spectacular gorge of Vikos; in the Vikos - Aoos National Park. The gorge of Vikos, with a length of 20km, is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the deepest canyon in the world, in proportion to its width. The main part of the gorge stretches between the villages Vikos and Monodendri and has a depth of about 1000m! After this beautiful hike, you travel towards the region of Thessaly and the village of Kastraki; a picturesque town at the feet of the Meteors. 2 overnights in Kastraki.
Hiking: 5h, - 550m / + 250m, moderate-demanding
Transfer: approx. 150 km / 2h30min
Day 3: The Meteors; walking exploration and visitsThis day you explore Meteora; hiking in a breathtaking scenery between the impressive gigantic monoliths and visiting two of the magnificent monasteries built on the rocks. In 1989, UNESCO listed Meteors in the list of World Heritage Sites, as a particularly important monument of culture and nature. A circular walk from/to Kastraki.
Hiking: 4h, +300m/-300m, moderate
Day 4: Last explorations in Meteora. Travel to Mt. OlympusIn the morning you go for a short walk at the Meteors. In the afternoon, you travel through the plain of Thessaly and via the narrow valley of Tempi; between Mt. Olympus and Mt. Ossa you reach the town of Litochoro and eventually you get at Prionia; at 1040 m of altitude; at the east slopes of Mt. Olympus. Now you walk in the Olympus National Park and through the “Forest of Silence”; at the upper part of Enippeas Gorge, you reach the mountain refuge “Spilios Agapitos”; at 2100 m. Diner and overnight in the mountain hut.
Hiking: Meteora, 1h15min, + 50m / - 250m, simple
Hiking: Olympus, 3h30min, +1050 m, moderate
Transfer: Meteora – Prionia, approx. 160 km / 2h10min
Day 5: Climbing Mt. OlympusEarly in the morning you climb the peak Skolio; at 2912m, with panoramic view to the other peaks of Mt. Olympus, the sea and even to Mt. Athos. You hike down to the refuge and eventually to Prionia. In case of adverse weather conditions, you go on an alternative, through less demanding, hike with panoramic view and then walk down to Prionia. In the afternoon, swimming in the sea at the beach of Litochoro. Overnight in Litochoro or Paleos Panteleimon or Plaka.
Hiking: + 850m / - 1870m, 8h, moderate-demanding
Day 6: Hiking through Enippeas GorgeAfter breakfast, you get transferred once again to Prionia and from there you hike through the stunning beauty of the shadowed peaceful gorge of Enippeas, towards the village of Litochoro. In the afternoon, you relax by the beach.
Hiking: +850 m/-1870 m, 8 h, moderate-demanding
Day 7: Farewell!Today this beautiful adventure in Northern Greece ends. Transfer to Thessaloniki. Farewell! Or next adventure or holidays extension.
Transfer: approx. 90 - 120 km / 1h - 1h20min (to Thessaloniki)
- Vikos Gorge; a spectacular place listed in the Guiness record book as the deepest canyon of the world in proportion to its whidth
- The gorge of Enippeas and the wood of Silence; leading from the highest mountain to the Aegean Sea
- Mt. Olympus; the highest Greek mountain
- Meteors; an UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site due to its cultural and natural importance
- 5 moderate to demanding hikes and 1 simple walk
- Not intended for professional athletes though a good shape and a certain hiking experience are required
- Equipment: hiking shoes, hiking sticks (very useful), day backpack, raincoat.
- Swimming possible on days 5, 6, 7
From 884 EUR
Single room supplement: 130 EUR
- Transfers as described in the itinerary from day 1 to day 7 (from/to Thessaloniki)
- Greek tour-leader
- 6 overnights; 5 in 2-3 stars hotel / guesthouse and 1 night in mountain hut
- Meals: Breakfast in the hotel
- Entrance fees in 2 Meteora monasteries
- Professional liability insurance
- VAT 24%
- Picnic for lunch, dinner in the hotel/guesthouse/hut or a tavern
- Overnights in Thessaloniki
- Next destination
- Single, triple or family room
- Flights or ferry to/from Greece
- Transfers on days 1 and 7 (optional)
- Drinks/beverages/snacks/other meals
- Entry fees in museums, excavations
- Travel Insurance
- The tour starts and ends at Thessaloniki. However, depending on your location before the tour we can organize your transfer to Zagori. (From Ioannina to Monodendri: 35km / 40min, from Igoumenitsa to Monodendri: 110km / 1h40min, from Athens to Monodendri: 450km / 5h, from Patras to Monodendri: 260km / 3h)
- After this beautiful hiking week, you can continue your holidays by the sea; either near Litochoro or Chalkidiki.
- Mount Olympos
- Vikos Gorge