- Delphi: The Navel of the world
- Olympia: The cradle of the Olympic Games
- Bassae: The temple of Epikourios Apollo
- Mistras: Byzantine ruins, with frescoed churches
- Mycenae: The citadel of Atrides
- The theater of Epidaurus: A marvel of acoustics and harmony
- Nafplion: The picturesque old capital
Day 1: The Mountain of the Nymphs and a Byzantine monastery
Day 2: The navel of the world.Trip to the PeloponneseDuring the antiquity, Delphi considered to be the “navel of the world”, where the famous Apollo’s oracle was located. In the morning we visit the archaeological site and museum. Then, we go cycling through the sacred olive grove, towards Itea (3). Swimming opportunity. Transfer, via the coastal road by the Corinthian golf and the cable bridge over the Antirio-Rio straights, to the west part of the Peloponnese and the port-town of Katakolo. 2 overnights in Katakolo.
(3) 16km; -500m; asphalt with small parts of dirt; simple to moderate
Day 3: The cradle of the Olympic GamesIn the morning transfer to Anc. Olympia, in order to visit the site where, in 776 B.C, the first Olympic Games took place and where every 4 years (for over a millenary) they were organized. After visiting the archeological site, we go cycling (4) in the countryside of the legendary land of Elis, partly following Alpheios river, towards its Delta. Swimming stop at the end of this cycling tour.
(4) 25km; +110m/-130m (mainly flat); mainly asphalt with small parts of dirt; moderate
Day 4: Wonderland ArcadiaIn the morning, transfer to Bassae, where into the mountainous solitude we visit the temple of Epikourios Apollo; a real masterpiece! Afterwards, we go cycling (5) through the peaceful Arcadian landscape towards Karytaina, a picturesque provincial town with a beautiful castle. Transfer Mystras, at the foothills of Mt. Taygetos. Overnight in Mystras.
(5) 42km; +280m/1010m; asphalt; moderate
Day 5: The stunning Byzantine citadel of MystrasIn the morning we take our time to visit the byzantine citadel of Mystras. Afterwards we go cycling in the legendary land of Laconia (6), through the valley of Evrotas river, covered mainly with olive and orange groves, until we reach the sanctuary of Apollo of Amycles. Transfer towards the north-east and the departure point of the second cycling tour of the day, near Achladokampos, between Arcadia and Argolide, from where we go downhill, on a road with stunning view to the gulf of Argos (7). 1 overnight in Tolo.
(6) 15km; -527m; asphalt; simple
(7) 15km; -575m; asphalt; moderate
Day 6: Argolis, land of legends
Today, we explore two archeological sites of major importance: Mycenae and Epidaurus; the historical highlights of Argolis and go cycling (8) in a hilly landscape and along the coast of the Argolic gulf. There will be time for swimming! Transfer to Athens, via the Canal of Corinth. Farewell dinner.
(8) 27km; +120m/-480m; asphalt; moderate
CYCLING- 8 generally easy to moderate bicycle tours 15- 42km, on low traffic asphalt roads with small dirt sections.
- Not intended for professional athletes but for cyclist in good shape
ACCOMMODATION5 overnights in well maintained, middle class hotels, typical pensions and traditionall guesthouses
RATESFrom 1219 EUR
SERVICES- Transfer and excursions, as described in the program
- 5 overnights in double/twin rooms with private WC and shower
- Breakfast in the hotel (except in Athens)
- A well-maintained Trekking bicycle
- 2 Tour leaders for the whole tour and for the cycling
- Professional liability insurance
- VAT 24% and all taxes (except overnight city tax)
OPTIONAL SERVICES- Meals: picnic or light meal in a tavern for lunch, dinner (menu) in traditional tavern or the hotel (120 EUR / Locally paid)
- Cultural guide for the visits on the arch. sites (upon request / Locally paid)
- Transfer from/to the airport (upon request)
- Single room
NOT INCLUDED- Flights to/from Greece
- Entries in museums and excavation sites
- Cultural guide for the visits on the arch. sites
- Transfer from/to the airport
- Snacks / Drinks / beverages / tips
- Travel insurance
- Overnight city tax (to be paid at the hotel reception)
EXTRASSingle room supplement : 100-110 EUR
NOTESIf you wish guided visits in the archeological sites, service is booked in advance and paid on the spot.
OFFERS- Special rates for clubs, groups, families
- Triple or quadruple room on request and upon availability
Ask also for our long version of the Southern Greece Cycling Adventure, of 14 days!
- Ancient Epidaurus